Monday, March 8, 2010

Make Rooms for Baby

I'm such a mama bird. When my babies were on their way, all I could think about was creating a warm, inviting little nest for them. Like most parents, I wanted their nursery to be more than a safe, baby-proofed, quiet room ... I wanted it to be one-of-a-kind and perfect. So I chose a theme, painted a cool color and painted a small mural that would provide the finishing touch.

For our best boy, I loved the relaxed style of Pottery Barn Kids' Island Surf pattern. The blues and red were right up my alley and the patterns of tropical scenes, swirling waves and swaying palms made me feel calm despite the tumult of pregnancy hormones. (Maybe reminded me of our Hawaiian honeymoon just a tad.) So I gussied the room up in PBK finery and painted these blue palms on the wall.
Doesn't it just make you want to curl up in a hammock and take a nap?
Hah! Fat chance.

When Little Miss M was on her way, we decided to move big brother to a big boy room. I reeeeally didn't want to change the light blue color of the nursery. (Partly because we loved it, partly because we're lazy). So I dreamed up this vintage, flea market chic red and light blue theme that I think is girly and uniquely pretty. I decided to do an "M" with an oval border and bows.

Feminine and sweet! And of course, with murals, neurotic parents like us don't have to worry about anything falling off of the wall and onto the baby! (Nice feature)
I'm finishing up a painting in my bedroom now and will be doing another nursery soon. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment