Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Frame and Fortune


A photograph can be an instant of life captured for eternity that will never cease looking back at you. ~Brigitte Bardot

Hello friends! It's been way too long. My new goal is to post shorter entries once a week. Will it work? Dunno. But that's my goal!





So my topic today is frames. I love decorating with family pictures! Framing stuff and making mini galleries of photos, artwork and such is a fun, cheao way to personalize your space, show off your creativity and decorate for the seasons.


Like my fall mantel, which I decorated with mismatched frames I painted black and pictures of fall leaves that I tore out of magazines and coffee table books. But frames can be expensive ... and professional framing means even more $$$. So I improvise with spray paint (of course), cheap pre-cut mats I buy from Michael's and other DIY touches. Here's a quick project I did recently to show off a series of pictures my friend Shannon took of my little lollipop:
I found this frame with a three-opening matte at Marshall's for $12.99.
I wanted it to be white to work in her room, so I took 2 minutes and spray painted it Rustoleum Antique White. To add a little somethin'-somethin', I covered the mat with this beautiful paper I found at the world's greatest art store, Sam Flax.






I cut the paper to fit the outside of the mat, then flipped it over and traced the openings.

I used an art knife to cut x's in the center, then create flaps to fold back.
I painted Allene's Decoupage glue on the front of the matte, lined up the paper and smoothed it over.
Now this is the tricky part. I carefully and tightly folded the flaps over and used scotch tape to secure them (glue would just squeeze out and be all grody).
Then I taped the photos onto the back of the mat and put it in the frame. Viola! This frame job would cost beaucoup bucks in a frame shop, but it cost me less than $15! In addition to cool papers, you can use coordinating fabrics, wallpaper, wrapping paper or paint to dress up your mats too.
More on wall galleries and frames next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment